The Ohio State University Men's Glee Club is a diverse organization, and consists of mostly non-music majors. Each year we invite anyone who wishes to audition to come and try out for the oldest organization on campus.
The OSU choral program is comprised of six choirs; all choirs are open to both music majors and non-music majors. Placement in a choir is by audition only.
The Audition Process
What to Expect
Those auditioning for the Glee Club should be prepared to perform the following:
- Scales and short melodies - to test range and demonstrate voice quality
- Sing an unaccompanied melody - a patriot tune or hymn tune (words provided)
- Melodic retention exercise - sing back short melodic patterns
- Rhythmic exercise - clap or sing rhythmic patterns in common meters
- Sight reading - both rhythms and pitches
- Voice Majors will also need to sing a prepared solo, pianist is provided
Auditions for the "lighter fare" a cappella group, Statesmen, are held at the beginning of each school year. Matthew Ebright, their conductor and pianist for Men's Glee, holds rehearsals on Tuesday and Sunday evenings. Details for Statesmen auditions are released in the first few weeks of Men's Glee Club Rehearsal. Membership requires enrollment in Men's Glee, and also offers its own course enrollment.